Sorting photos by date taken

Post any Bulk Rename Utility support requirements here. Open to all registered users.

Sorting photos by date taken

Postby renamingFILES » Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:56 pm

I've a bunch of photos that had been copied or moved around, now all in the same folder. Sorting by date did not sort them as expected. I found that Windows Explorer has an option to sort photos by the date the photo was actually taken, rather than when it appeared on a computer's hard drive. So that's nice.

But now I want to rename them.

I have not been able to figure out if BRU can also sort photos by the date they were taken. I messed around in the Special menu, but not much—I'm afraid I'll break something, as I cannot understand much of what I am seeing.

Can BRU sort photos by the date photos were actually taken; if so, how do I enable the option?

Thanks, and have a great day!
renamingFILES

Re: Sorting photos by date taken

Postby Luuk » Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:50 pm

First to put a checkmark inside the menu for "Renaming Options, ID3/ExifData/FileProperties, Extract Exif Data".
Then can click the Taken(Original) column to sort them by either ascending or descending times.
Luuk

Re: Sorting photos by date taken

Postby renamingFILES » Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:10 pm

THanks, buddy! I now see that I can prefix or suffix my file names with YYMMDD HHMMSS, which allows me to resort by name, which arranges everything by date and time of creation.

I wish I knew about this twenty years ago!

I go back and add a plain numbered prefix; otherwise, files taken at the exact same time (down to the second, anyway) will have the same file name. Once numbered and featuring the date and time the picture was taken, my file names are better than I could have imagined.

Again, I wish I had know this was possible twenty years ago. My life would have been quite a bit easier!

Thanks!
renamingFILES

Return to BRU Support